Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 60 minutes
- 200g of yellow split peas
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 L of water
- Spices & herbs:
- 1 clove of garlic or 1 tbsp of garlic powder
- 1 medium onion or 1 tbsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- any herbs you like; I would suggest a good amount of paprika, smoked or not.
In a big pot, heat up the oil on medium heat. Add the onion and the garlic. Cover for 5 minutes. If you are using powdered garlic and onion, you can follow the following steps without covering for 5 minutes.
Add the sliced bacon strips.
Dissolve the stock cube in the water. Add the hot stock to the pot and the diced carrot. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
While the carrot are cooking a bit. Rinse thoroughly the yellow split peas. Add them then to the pot with the spices and herbs of choice and cover.
Cook the soup until the yellow split peas are fully cooked.
You might want to add more stock to the soup during cooking or overcook the peas to get a creamy soup.
- It can be serve with fresh herbs on top.
- If you are vegan, you can replace the bacon with diced celery stalks.
Here you have it. Yellow split pea soup.